A good bot detection tool is a must-have for any website owner’s arsenal, whether you run a content distribution site, a travel website, or an ecommerce store. It helps the site gets authentic, qualified traffic; keeps the site’s speed and performance up to par; and ensures your money, time and effort are well spent across the board.
Not sure you need bot detection for your site? Here are 5 reasons you definitely do:
- Bots can steal your content. You know that content you worked so hard to develop? Your carefully crafted blog posts and pages? All that effort could be wasted in a second if you let bots access your site. Bots can scrape your website for data, information and even pricing in just a matter of minutes. Then, it can be used on other sites, redistributed or even sold for profit in other areas of the web.
- Bots can slow down your site. Bots bog down your site and overwhelm it with inauthentic, fraudulent traffic. This results in slower page load times for your actual paying customers, which could affect their level of satisfaction or even deter them from buying or visiting altogether.
- Bots can threaten your website. Malicious bots can hack your website, insert inappropriate links and content, or even crash your site altogether. This can hurt your traffic, your customers and your sales.
- Bot can take up extra time and money. Many bots spend their time posting spam comments to websites and blogs. While this may not seem like a huge issue, it can be quite frustrating. You’ll have to spend hours each month sorting through these comments to separate the human commenters from the fraudulent ones, which takes you and your resources away from actually running your business. If you don’t remove these spam comments, they end up annoying your readers and possibly leading them away from your site.
- Bots can mess up your analytics. Analytics are hugely important to a website owner. They tell you how your site is performing, where traffic is coming from and what you might want to tweak throughout the site. Unfortunately, if you have a significant amount of bots accessing your site, this can throw your analytics into upheaval. You won’t have a clear picture of your site’s performance or your next steps for improvement, and you won’t be able to tell what’s real and what’s fake.
Think your site could benefit from a bot detection tool? Contact Distil Networks today to get started.
About the Author
Courtney Brady is the Director of Marketing at Distil Networks. She comes to Distil Networks from a variety of start-up companies, routed in SaaS and DaaS solutions. Formerly the global communications manager at multiple companies, Courtney is responsible for developing the company’s marketing strategy and branding campaign.Follow on Twitter More Content by Courtney Brady