If you own or operate an ecommerce store, you should be keenly aware of web bots and what they can do to your business. In truth, web bots are probably the biggest threat you face as an online storeowner – even bigger than your competitors! Web bots can threaten your sales, your SEO rankings, affect your site’s performance and waste your company’s precious time, money and effort.
Do you have an ecommerce store? Here are five big reasons to be wary of web bots:
- They can give competitors access to your pricing. Web bots are often used for price scraping, which pulls the pricing and product-related data from your website. Then your competitors can use this information to determine their own pricing, outbidding you and outselling you to your own target customers.
- They can steal your proprietary content. In addition to scraping prices, web bots can also scrape content and copy from your pages. Then other sites can pass this copy off as their own or even sell it to your competitors for a profit.
- They can slow down your store. Web bots can overwhelm your site with fraudulent, illegitimate traffic, which can ultimately bog down your site’s performance and slow down loading times. Ultimately, this will affect your customer satisfaction and may even turn users off from making a purchase.
- They can lower your SEO rankings. If web bots get a hold of your content and it is duplicated elsewhere on the web, your SEO rankings can be severely affected – and not in a good way. Duplicate content can make you drop significantly in every major search engine, making it next to impossible for potential customers and leads to find your site.
- They can waste your resources. Web bots can also be a waste of your company’s time, energy and resources. You’ll have to spend hours sifting through fraudulent form submissions and spam comments, and you’ll have a hard time evaluating analytics data due to all the inauthentic traffic.
Web bots can be a huge problem for ecommerce stores. If you own an online store, contact Distil Networks today. Our bot detection tools can help you fight back against web bots and protect your site’s performance and sales.
About the Author
Courtney Brady is the Director of Marketing at Distil Networks. She comes to Distil Networks from a variety of start-up companies, routed in SaaS and DaaS solutions. Formerly the global communications manager at multiple companies, Courtney is responsible for developing the company’s marketing strategy and branding campaign.Follow on Twitter More Content by Courtney Brady