Web scrapers are bots that use web crawling technology to download the content of websites. These bots fall into a grey area of legality; in some cases a site owner will want its content lifted and aggregated elsewhere (ex: news aggregation sites); in other cases, doing so is tantamount to theft (ex: price scraping). This eBook looks at the issues around web scrapers and what can be done to control their activity.
What you will learn:
- The definition of web scraping
- The potential damage web scraping causes
- The motives behind web scraping
- The legality of web scraping
- How web scraping is perpetrated
- How to stop your site from being scraped