Bots are the key culprits in degrading classifieds and marketplace sites’ availability, user experience, competitive advantage, and brand trust. Bots now make up 61% of web traffic and their negative impact on your site and business can be substantial:
- Thieves and unauthorized aggregators use web scraping bots to steal product listing data, repackage it for sale in the form of lead gen programs, or they place it on unauthorized sites-- all of which hurt SEO, negatively impact your brand, and reduce your ability to monetize your content
- Massive bot requests can slow down your website, and left unchecked, can even take portions of your site down for extended periods of time
- Fake registrations, spammy product listings, and comment spam pollute your site and backend systems, and have negative cascading effects on your site’s success
- Hackers use bots to scan your site for vulnerabilities, attempt brute-force login attacks, account takeovers, man-in-the-middle/browser attacks and more
- Dealing with bots manually can be a tedious game of whack-a-mole, and place a huge tax on internal teams and web infrastructure
This paper covers the dynamics of the bot threat and how to defend your classified and marketplace site from all these threats-- with special emphasis on web scraping.