“Our customers had been receiving hundreds of spam emails and sales calls a day as a result of bots scraping our forms. That all stopped once we implemented Distil -- it literally just disappeared.”
-- Tudor James, Global Integration Manager, Hibu
Hibu is a multinational directories and Internet services company that works with small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), helping them compete in the digital world with a broad range of online marketing solutions and websites. Formerly Yell Group plc, Hibu has its origins as the yellow pages division of the British telecommunications operator, BT Group.
As an online directory service, it’s no wonder Hibu’s site, Yell.com, is a target for data scrapers looking to compile and sell contact lists. Web scraping soon became a pressing problem for Hibu. “Our servers were taking on more load, but we didn’t see the same growth in traffic on our reporting,” said Tudor James, Global Integration Manager at Hibu. “We started digging through the log files and saw that bad bots were coming in and taking huge amounts of data.”
James needed a way to stop bad bots from entering Yell.com, stealing Hibu’s hard-earned data, and annoying clients with spam and sales calls. Although the company had a rudimentary bot detection solution in place, as the threat worsened, James and his team needed a more effective and reliable solution.
- Bad bots were bombarding Yell.com and scraping customer data from contact forms.
- Hibu’s existing bot mitigation solution couldn’t handle the increasing bot threat.
- Server strain from bad bots was causing slow site performance and brownouts.
- Customers were getting spammed with emails and sales calls.
Distil Cloud CDN
- Proactive bot mitigation freed up Hibu’s operations team and eliminated content theft.
- Switching to Distil solved the problem and saved Hibu GBP 300K per year in headcount.
- Bad bot traffic was eliminated, freeing up capacity to improve performance and enable growth without additional spending.
- Distil slashed spam and fake registrations on customer sites.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter More Content by Distil Networks