“We have a handful of competitors that cause us a lot of headaches. With Distil, we’ve stopped them from scraping our data, which protects our competitive advantage. In addition, we’ve reduced the load by 22%, and as a result, our customers experience faster response times.”
-- Principal Solutions Developer at leading online beauty retailer
One of Europe’s largest independent online beauty retailers offers thousands of products across a broad range of brands. This e-tailer knows who its closest competitors are, and suspected several of them of web scraping. The problem became serious when the scraping became more advanced.
Online retailers are particularly susceptible to the effects of advanced bot threats, including price scraping, product matching, variation tracking and availability targeting. When bots scrape pricing and product information, aggregated data is fed to an analytics engine, allowing competitors to match prices and products quickly.
The online beauty retailer realized they were a victim of advanced site scraping; competitors were following their every move and undercutting them in the market in real-time. With the intent to thwart competitors’ efforts to scrape important pricing data and other information from its website, the retailer sought the help of Distil Networks.
- Competitors were scraping product and pricing data, using it to lure customers away
- Traffic from malicious bots was consuming server resources and slowing site performance
- Tracking suspicious IP addresses manually was a tedious manual process
Distil Cloud CDN
- Stopped competitors from scraping pricing and product data by blocking bad bots
- Reduced site errors and latency, lowering bounce rates
- Eliminated bad bot traffic, cutting server resource needs by 22%
- Automated and offloaded bot detection, saving a day and a half per week in IT resources
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter More Content by Distil Networks