“Before Distil, we were spending 20 to 30 hours a week investigating and blocking bots in our Web Application Firewalls. Now, it’s all automated.”
-- Oliver Feige, CTO, Lamudi
Lamudi offers a collection of online real estate classified websites, focusing on emerging markets. The company’s platform is available in more than 30 countries across Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America, providing sellers, buyers, landlords and renters a secure and easy-to-use platform to find or list properties online. Lamudi has more than 660 employees and over 900,000 listings around the world.
Lamudi was using IP blocking techniques to block bad bots across different regions of their web application infrastructure. For example, AWS’s Web Application Firewall was used in Latin America, Mexico, Colombia and Peru, whereas a built-in Linux firewall was used in other regions. But a growing scraping and spam problem prompted the IT team to look for a more sophisticated bot detection and mitigation solution.
- 15,000 bad bot requests per minute were causing slowdowns and a degraded user experience
- Nefarious actors were spamming real estate agent contact forms on each of Lamudi’s 900,000 listings
- IT team’s manual blocking of IP addresses was time consuming and ineffective
Hybrid deployment: Distil Cloud CDN and Distil Appliance
- Increased website performance by eliminating bad bot traffic
- Stopped listing agent form spam, and reclaimed time spent addressing complaints
- Saved Lamudi’s IT team up to 30 hours of work per week